Hey guys! So I'm sure most of us have seen this trend of hazy, golden-hour esque photos with a bit of sun flare blooming across the image. I really like that look (even though I do think it's a little cheesy...and will date all these photos years from now) so I started working on a photoshop action to reproduce that sort of look.

It's called Sunlit Strawberry! Gives your image a warm wash of light with a kiss of strawberry tones. I ran it below on this picture of a cute puppy I met down in Houston a few months ago (isn't she so precious?) along with a texture I made called Dreaming Lights. I feel really pompous saying that - "texture I made." Honestly, t's really easy to create something like this - I just used a large feathery brush to paint swatches of pink, sky blue, magenta, and gold to give color dimension. It's a small attempt to emulate the beautiful color variations you'll see in nature - little bits of green and blue and purple even in a summer leaf that looks pretty normal. The old artists saw things like this in human skin, too. Go look at some Impressionist paintings and look carefully into how skin is painted - you'll see a lot of green and pink that feels truer than just a wash of perfect peach, mocha, or cinnamon.


If this type of effect is too much for you, you could always duplicate the original layer (ctrl + j), run this effect, and then reduce opacity to your taste. I like this full-blown on this photo, otherwise the haze looked less deliberate and more like something I didn't clean up.

I don't have Sunlit Strawberry ready just yet to release - just tweaking up a few things. The haze gradients, as well as the kiss of strawberry, are completely customizable for the photoshopper.


3 Comments

  1. I really love how it highlights his whiskers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Chris! She was a really sweet puppy. Apparently taller than my knees now! Do you use Photoshop? :)

      Delete
  2. I used photoshop...almost twenty years ago, back before it was cool :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.